Translate

Thứ Hai, 24 tháng 8, 2015

There Are Two Sides to Dealing With Type 2 Diabetes

It helps to be both type A and type B when managing the condition.


You know how people talk about being a type A or type B personality? In my experience, I’ve found that living with type 2 diabetes requires you to be a little bit of both. It’s not as crazy as it sounds, and the result is that you can manage the condition while living your life to the fullest.
Let’s start with the type A side. Type A people are usually very organized and good about managing their time. These are qualities that I find especially useful in my professional life because I’m constantly juggling meetings, recording sessions, and public appearances.
When you have type 2 diabetes, it’s so important to have a health regimen and stick to it, day in and day out. Diet, exercise, and checking blood sugar are pillars to good health with diabetes, and it’s important to have a plan when it comes to each.
Personally, I prefer the term “mindful eating” over “diet” because it’s about being thoughtful about what and how you eat. To do that, I try to be very organized – choosing wisely, tracking calories, and keeping a food journal.
When it comes to exercise – and I’ve adopted the term “physical fun” – time management is key. It’s easy to say, “I’m too busy to work out” so I make physical activity a part of my daily schedule. I make a point to kick off every day on the treadmill, I like to do yoga or meditate twice a day, and I play tennis whenever I can.
Checking blood sugar is essential for folks who have type 2 diabetes. I check my levels at least three or four times a day. Again, making the time to do it is a must. I find it helpful to check my blood sugar at set times: in the morning as soon as I wake up, after a meal, and at the end of the day.
Then there’s the type B side of things. I try to bring a positive mindset to everything I do in life, and that’s where having a type B personality comes in. Type B people don’t stress over every little thing, and they find pleasure in all kinds of ways.
When you’re living with a condition like type 2 diabetes, it’s easy to beat yourself up about things like going off your diet or thinking about how much work you have to put into staying healthy. One of the things a coach taught me in college is to not get stuck on the shot you missed. If you mess up one moment, move on to the next.
Most of us tend to be more type A or type B, so it helps to think about what qualities come naturally to you and work on building up the others. Take it from me: A health regimen and a positive mindset really go hand in hand

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét