I eat out a lot – restaurants, hotel room service, at the airport…you name it. Before I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, the only thing I thought about when I ate out was taste. Now when I order, I’m thinking about my health first.
Eating foods that are low in fat, salt, and calories and high in fiber just makes good health sense, whether you have diabetes or not. But choosing wisely isn’t easy, especially when you’re not the one calling the shots in the kitchen.
These are some of my tips on eating out with your health in mind:
Come prepared. Like cooking at home, eating out with diabetes requires prep work. If you can, check out the restaurant menu before you go. That way, you can think about what to order and any questions you might have when you get there.
Speak up. You may be looking at a menu that doesn’t have a lot of information. Ask your server for help. If your server can’t tell you what’s in a dish or how it’s prepared, ask to speak to someone who can, like the chef.
Know your ingredients. Remember that there are a lot of hidden ingredients in restaurant dishes, things like oil, butter, and salt. Sauces are also big culprits of hidden fat, salt, and calories. Ask for dishes that are broiled not fried, and when possible, ask for the sauce on the side. Additionally, the American Diabetes Association has great tips on its website, like dipping your fork in dressing for each bite, instead of pouring it on your salad.
Be creative. I’ve found that I can still eat things I love just by cutting or swapping an ingredient. If I order a burger, for instance, I’ll get it with lettuce and tomato but skip the bun and condiments. Want a baked potato? Try using a little bit of olive oil instead of butter on it.
Look for substitutes. One of my weaknesses is pasta, but I have to watch my carbs. So I’ll look for healthier options that give me the same satisfaction as, say, spaghetti and meatballs. The restaurant may serve spaghetti squash with sauce, and you can still have the meatball. That way you’re not getting those carbs that are turned into sugar and can spike your blood sugar sky-high.
Don’t desert dessert. If you’re craving something sweet, a piece of fruit is always a good option. But sometimes an apple just isn’t going to cut it. You can still satisfy your sweet tooth, if you treat yourself in moderation.
Watch the clock. The timing of meals matters if you have diabetes and take medication. So it’s a good idea to try to make reservations around the times you usually eat.
There’s a lot to think about when eating out, and it can be a little tricky until you get the hang of it. But we really are what we eat. That’s why it’s so important that you know exactly what’s on your plate.